Intro to Python for Lightwave
Intro to Python for Lightwave by Ryan Roye
Knowledge of Python scripting will augment what you already know about Lightwave by introducing automation to your workflow. Forget wading through overly complicated examples or fighting with undocumented functions, this content is results-focused and will immediately benefit your production process. This material will easily pay for itself in the time you will save having programming capabilites in your tool-set.
Please note that this content only covers Lightwave Layout scripting. Scripting for Lightwave Modeler is what I consider an advanced topic. However, know that many of the concepts and fundamentals here will transfer to not only to Lightwave modeler, but any other software application as well.
CONTENT COVERED IN VIDEOS
——— CHAPTER 1: Introduction (Runtime 3:36) ———
Outlines what you will be learning and what all is required in order to get started (a proper text editor, Lightwave SDK files, etc).
——— CHAPTER 2: Commands (Runtime 10:00) ———
Commands are functions that perform some kind of direct action, such as pressing buttons on the Lightwave UI, or moving the playhead around. I explain how to take advantage of these in Python and point out where and how you can obtain the names of commands that can be used. Other topics such as referencing the python SDK and usage of the Python Console are also covered.
——— CHAPTER 3: Logic (Runtime: 12:09) ———
Commands are useful, but you need logic to have your script make decisions. This chapter introduces variables (and their types), loops, if statements, and general programming logic that is vital not just for Python, but for all programming languages.
——— CHAPTER 4: Gathering Information (Runtime: 22:55) ———
Commands and logic will only get you so far without the ability to have your script analyze various aspects of the Lightwave user interface. For example, you may need to know what the user’s selection is, and where the items they’ve selected are in 3d space in order to apply a series of actions to those items. This chapter is what really opens up the door to advanced scripting, and thus extra time is taken to explain everything.
——— SUPPLEMENTARY VIDEOS ———-
– Working with_Channel Envelopes (Runtime 7:41) – How to manipulate channel envelopes. This will enable you to apply expressions and manipulate ANY envelope in Lightwave via scripting. Hugely powerful stuff here.
– Snippets (Runtime 1:40) – Explains usage of code templates to make usable scripts much faster.
– Re-using code (Runtime 4:15) – Usage of functions to make your scripts easier to manage.
– Odds and Ends (Runtime 2:24) – Explains what a “valid lightwave plugin container” is.
INCLUDED SAMPLE CONTENT
– 9x common script templates (getting user’s selection in various ways, manipulating the status bar, setting items shapes, etc)
– 21x example script snippets that cover most elements of Lightwave Layout’s interface.
As always, if you have any questions about the content before or after purchase, e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Intro to Python for Lightwave($54.95)