This video introduces you to the Unity game engine from the perspective of a LightWave user.
Chapter 1: The Basics
The videos in this chapter are designed to be watched straight through. You don't have to follow along with your own copy of Unity or LightWave, though you certainly may. I promise that the more you watch of Unity in action, the more it will make sense. So if you feel like you missed something important, just keep watching. When you go back, it will probably make sense. If not, let me know!
1) Intro: 35 minutes
- General intro to Unity3D
- Navigating the Unity3D interface
2) Importing objects from LightWave: 30 minutes
- Key concepts for importing
- How to properly share UV maps,
- Spreading UV maps across materials
3) How to make a building: 12 minutes
- Tiling in more detail
- Chilton's Magic Box
4) Using the Terrain Engine in Unity: 20 minutes
- Bump maps
5) Simple Car: 15 minutes
- Adding a script
- Intro to 3D math concepts
6) Turntable: 7 minutes
- Creating an instant turntable
- Rotation vs translation
- A few notes on importing
7) Intro to Scripting: 15 minutes
- How to find things in the script reference
- How to access variables outside of an object
Chapter 2: Velocitractor
- The Velocitractor videos are divided up into very short groups so you can walk through the steps with your own models if you're having problems or are trying to understand a core concept. Feel free to follow along with your own models, and email me if you have any questions.
8) Modeling, Texturing, and adding Skelegons : 5 minutes
9) Layout and Rigging Part 1: 5 minutes
- Basic rig importing, converting from Skelegons
10) Rigging Part 2: 5 minutes
- IKBoost and Animations
11) Inspecting the Rig: 4 minutes
12) Creating a walk cycle - 1 minute
13) Exporting Animations to Unity - 2 minutes
14) Inspecting FBX Animations in Unity - 2 minutes
15) Applying Animations to Mechanim - 7 minutes
16) Scripting Mechanim, final thoughts - 15 minutes
Also included in the UnityExtras folder (accompanying this file)...
All Unity3D project files, and Unity3D files for Version 1 of this document.
All LightWave3D project files.
Riggin' Trix - a list of things you can do to simplify your rigs for Unity integration.
Screenshot of the magic number and the order of things in Unity (GameObject, transforms, components), which you will want burned into your brain.
Almost 3 hours of narrated video, files, and cheat sheets!